10 Surprising Things That Are Toxic For Your Pet

Posted on

8. Macadamia Nuts


Macadamia nuts are highly valued by snack lovers for their high contents of minerals, antioxidants, and more. Dogs can also get a few bonus side effects if they consume these delicious snacks: vomiting, weakness or mild paralysis, hyperthermia, and muscle tremors.

The exact cause of macadamia nut toxicity in canines is unknown; it is theorized that it could be a natural product in the nuts themselves, something introduced during manufacturing, or toxic fungal side products.[3]With proper medical attention, macadamia nut toxicity is generally treatable, and symptoms resolve within 12 to 48 hours, but it’s probably a wise idea to not leave piles of macadamia nuts lying around your house, as tempting as that sounds to snack lovers.

7. Grapes And Raisins


Grapes don’t exactly emit an aura of danger (unless you’ve recently read John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath), but these small snacks have very large consequences when ingested by a dog. The exact mechanism of toxicity is still a mystery, but it is known that consumption can cause dogs to develop acute kidney failure. Symptoms commonly include vomiting and diarrhea, weakness, loss of appetite, lack of urine production, and others.[4]

Unlike macadamia nuts, this type of poisoning is very severe and often fatal. Immediate medical attention is required. If kidney failure occurs, it is extremely unlikely that the dog will survive. The toxic reaction still occurs in seedless and skinned grapes, implying that the deadly reagent is found in the fruit’s flesh. This means that raisins are equally harmful for dogs as well. Raisins are especially easy to drop on the floor unnoticed, so be extra mindful when shoveling large handfuls into your mouth during your next snack run.

Prev2 of 5Next

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *